ISI is a unique system designed for off‐air interception of Iridium communication.
The system intercepts calls, SMS and data and allows localization of Iridium phones. The Iridium is an advanced communication satellite network that covers the entire world without any gaps; the Iridium uses communication to the handset and between the 66 satellite constellations without need for ground hubs
like other satellites, Iridium phone‐to‐phone calls do NOT touch earth and each phone has own number.
The Iridium uses one global code 8816 for all countries. So no zones, no roaming rates and no long distance charges. The system includes a single computer unit (lunchbox computer) that includes all necessary modules (Down Converters, Digital Processing Processors, Database etc).
Intercept of Up Channel up to 10km, Down Channel up to 1500 km
The computer is connected to the dedicated Iridium antenna for RF signal interception.
ISI allows intercepting of entire Iridium traffic within operational range of the system. System intercepts both uplink and downlink and as such, both sides of the call can be monitored (depends on interception conditions). All intercepted sessions and related data are stored in the system data base for offline analysis and playback. ISI can be installed and operated in many types of configurations and environments (fixed 19” installation, remote control configuration, transportable cases, vehicular etc). Graphic User Interface of the system is very user‐friendly. Positions of Iridium phones are displayed on the map.
The ISI is state of the art design as it needs to overcome great challenges such as:
• Proprietary Iridium air interface
• Iridium authentication process (similar to GSM)
• Large, continually changing Doppler shifts
• Frequent inter‐beam and inter‐satellite handoffs
• Time‐division multiplexed burst mode channels
• Complicated modulation, interleaving and coding
• Unique audiocoding
System supports multiuser site while the administrator defines the set of rules and privileges of each operator.
The ISI provides the User with the following information about every call:
• Current Spot beam ID,
• Date and Time of Call
• IMEI, TMSI, IMSI
• Position of the handset
• Dialed number
• Size of intercepted file
• Type of session (data, SMS, voice)
• Frequency coverage L-Band (1616-1626.5MHz)
• Number of channels 32
• System output Voice, SMS in all languages and call related data
• Power consumption 250w standard configuration
• Antenna Single, Active, Omni Directional Antenna